Querying locally on a nameserver - odd behavior

blrmaani blrmaani at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 02:41:50 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 8:10:16 AM UTC-7, Graham Clinch wrote:

>  > [...]
> > during this behavior, I saw lots of UDP packet loss on the host:
> >
> > netstat -s | egrep -A4 "Udp:"
> > ..
> >

> > I tried similar local queries when traffic reduced (and when UDP pkt loss was zero) and both local queries succeeded.
>
> Which version of Bind are you running?  This sounds like an issue I've
> seen with prefetch in 9.10 before 9.10.4.
>
> https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-01315/0/prefetch-performance-in-BIND-9.10.html
>
> Graham

BIND 9.8.x. This behavior is seen when there are flood of NXDOMAIN queries sent to our nameserver running BIND 9.8.x

As a short-term fix, we have added our nameservers behind a netscalar VIP and provided additional capacity to hadoop applications. I hope I'll have some time soon to get to the bottom of this problem (or just upgrade to BIND 9.10.x ? :)  )

thanks
Blr