Latest BIND: Error "rpz_rewrite_name: mismatched summary data; continuing"

Mukund Sivaraman muks at isc.org
Tue Sep 6 07:32:26 UTC 2016

Hi Tom

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 07:37:50AM +0200, Tom wrote:
> Is there a workaround/configuration-directive not to log every request with
> this "error"? One way would be using BIND 9.9.9-P2 (because this code was
> added in 9.10.x...), but I would prefer 9.10.x.

(1) Don't use regular BIND 9.9 for RPZ. For using RPZ, please use 9.10
and higher (or 9.9 subscription branch that's available to ISC
customers). RPZ in vanilla 9.9 is unmaintained and unsupported (it was
experimental there).

(2) We'll look at tweaking this log message, but if you want to just not
see this log message, just recompile after removing the offending CTRACE
statement from bin/named/query.c. In fact, this code is normally enabled
when configured with --enable-querytrace. Do you have query tracing
configured? Is seeing this additional log message so inconvenient then?

		Mukund