Load balancer for Bind

Daniel Stirnimann daniel.stirnimann at switch.ch
Fri Sep 16 07:25:02 UTC 2016

> So what we recommend is using dnsdist to balance to your backends, and have
> it prefer one backend when all things are equal.  Then run multiple dnsdists
> which each prefer a different backend.  And then announce your dnsdist
> service addresses a few times over BGP.

+1 on this.

We moved from an all anycast resolver setup to an anycast+dnsdist,
resolver backend setup the way Bert described it.

I would add that with dnsdist and caching enabled you don't need as many
backend resolvers. 90% of the queries can be answered from dnsdist
caches. So in our case, we have multiple dnsdist instances across the
swiss NREN network but only few backend resolvers.

Daniel