about "query time" (caching)

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Mon Sep 19 22:02:27 UTC 2016

In the first case, your resolver probably had to resolve all levels of the hierarchy from the root all of the way down to the leaf node (root, .it, yahoo.it and then the leaf records). 96 msec.

In the second case, the answer was cached and so your resolver didn't have to talk to anything on the Internet at all. 1 msec.

In the third case, the A records had expired from the cache (since the TTL on those records is 300 seconds = 5 minutes), so your resolver needed to fetch a fresh set from the yahoo.it nameservers -- the NS records of which were most likely cached from the first lookup -- but it didn't need to follow the referral chain all of the way down from the root. 19 msec.

This all seems reasonable and expected, to me.

										- Kevin