Multiple IPs Associated With A Single Name

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Thu Sep 29 21:18:27 UTC 2016

On 09/29/2016 02:08 PM, John Miller wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> AFAIK, multiple A records are the only way to return multiple IPs for
> a given FQDN.  there are multiple A records for a given name, BIND
> will return all of those records -- it'll return all the IPs.  It's up
> to the client in question to decide how to use that information.
>
> John

Thanks all, for responding.

One followup question.  I am currently doing some engineering work for
GreatBigHugeCo, wherein getting things like DNS updates done is very
time and paperwork intensive.  Sometimes I think it would be easier
to do tensor analysis with an abacus, but I digress ...

For reasons too long and complex to explain, I may want to do the following
and need some input on how to implement this or whether it's even practical:

  - Run an instance of bind in user space so I can control all the
    configuration without having root.

  - Forward all lookups not in my database to a "real" DNS server

What I am stuck on is this:  Is there any simple (i.e., non-root) way
to write a client or otherwise configure userspace to go to the non-standard
port and run my sort of man-in-the-middle server?  Or is this just a stupid
idea?

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com