Multiple IPs Associated With A Single Name

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Fri Sep 30 15:22:35 UTC 2016

On 09/30/2016 10:12 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 30.09.2016 um 16:22 schrieb Tim Daneliuk:
>> On 09/29/2016 04:45 PM, Darcy Kevin (FCA) wrote:
>>> Yeah, sure, just run it with your own special config file (with -c); in that config file, set the listen-on to an unprivileged port, and make sure all of the pathnames (including implicit pathnames like the pid-file) are to files/directories to which the unprivileged user has read and (where necessary) write access.
>>>
>>> As a sanity check, I just fired up an instance on a Red Hat box, as an unprivileged user, listening on port 12345. It's a caching-only config, with our own internal-root hints, and it's resolving (internal) names just fine.
>>>
>> How did you get your code to look at that instance:port rather than the
>> one dictated by /etc/resolv.conf or a local server on port 53?
>
> dig [@server] [-b address] [-c class] [-f filename] [-k filename] [-m] [-p port#] [-q name] [-t type] [-v] [-x addr] [-y [hmac:]name:key] [-4] [-6] [name] [type] [class] [queryopt...]

As I understand it, dig uses it's own code to determine which resolver to use, hence this works.

In my particular case, I am trying to figure out a way to redirect gethostbyname() calls
to the resolver of my choice so that existing code will run without change.  The problem is
that I need to do this without root or sudo access to the machines in question, and this is
increasingly looking impossible.