BIND 9 windows XP builds

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Mon Apr 17 20:30:43 UTC 2017

Greetings,

For some time ISC has been providing three Windows builds for each release
of BIND 9: x64, win32, and windows XP.

Windows XP is well past its end of life and is no longer receiving security
updates.  I'd like to stop supporting it after the upcoming maintenance
release, but it's been pointed out to me that a significant number of
people -- many thousands -- are downloading the XP version every time we
put out a new release.

This information surprised me. If you're one of those people, would you
mind responding, either on or off the list, to discuss it?  Why are you
using XP to run a name server?  Is it possible you're still using the XP
build out of inertia, but your OS would work equally well with the
win32 build?  If you're really still running XP, do you have a plan for
transitioning to something newer?

We want to support the needs of our users, but to do that we have to
understand those needs, so please let us know what yours are.  Thanks,

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.