Alberto Rinaudo alberto.rinaudo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 14:11:01 UTC 2017

I understand the concept, but I'm not sure I fully understand how to
configure it.
I've updated my bind to 9.11 P05 compiled with "--with-ecdsa", and as far
as I can read EDNS is enabled for authoritative bind installations
automatically.
But I'm still getting wrong answers from my installation.
Here are my configurations:

named.conf:
options {
  listen-on port 53 { any; };
  listen-on-v6 port 53 { any; };
  directory "/var/named";
  dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
  statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
  memstatistics-file "/var/named/data/named_mem_stats.txt";
  allow-recursion { internal; };
  allow-query { any; };
  allow-query-cache { none; };
};
acl internal {
  service_server_subnet/24;
  service_server_wan_ip;
};
view "internal" {
  match-clients { internal; };
  zone "example.net" IN {
    type master;
    file "/etc/named/example.net.internal";
  };
};
view "external" {
  match-clients { any; };
  zone "example.net" IN {
    type master;
    file "/etc/named/example.net.external";
  };
};

example.net.external:
$TTL 3600
example.net. IN SOA ns1.example.net. example.net. (
    2001062501
    21600
    3600
    604800
    3600 )
example.net. IN NS ns1.example.net.
example.net. IN NS ns2.example.net.
example.net. IN MX 10 mx.zoho.com.
example.net. IN MX 20 mx2.zoho.com.
ns1.example.net. IN A bind_wan_ip
ns2.example.net. IN A bind_wan_ip
example.net. IN A service_server_wan_ip
www.example.net. IN CNAME example.net.
mail.example.net. IN A service_server_wan_ip
mail.example.net. IN MX 10 mail.example.net.
mail.example.net. IN SPF "v=spf1 +a +mx +include:mail.example.net -all"
service.example.net. IN A service_server_wan_ip

example.net.internal:
$TTL 3600
example.net. IN SOA ns1.example.net. example.net. (
    2001062501
    21600
    3600
    604800
    3600 )
example.net. IN NS ns1.example.net.
example.net. IN NS ns2.example.net.
example.net. IN MX 10 mx.zoho.com.
example.net. IN MX 20 mx2.zoho.com.
ns1.example.net. IN A bind_wan_ip
ns2.example.net. IN A bind_wan_ip
example.net. IN A service_server_lan_ip
www.example.net. IN CNAME example.net.
mail.example.net. IN A service_server_lan_ip
mail.example.net. IN MX 10 mail.example.net.
mail.example.net. IN SPF "v=spf1 +a +mx +include:mail.example.net -all"
service.example.net. IN A service_server_wan_ip

When I dig my subdomain however I get this replies:
# dig +noall +answer service.example.net @ns1.example.net
service.example.net.    3600    IN    A    service_server_lan_ip
# dig +noall +answer service.example.net @8.8.8.8
service.example.net.    3599    IN    A    service_server_wan_ip

Can you spot anything wrong with it?
Thanks