Query on the Overload control mechanism for DNS Server

Sebastian Büttner sebastian at bueddl.de
Sun Apr 30 13:12:18 UTC 2017

Hi,

is there any reason for what you are not performing this rate limiting
using some firewall like iptables/netfilter?

You could limit the incoming requests at this point with ease and the
nameserver would never get in touch with dropped requests thus not waste
cpu time.
Also this approach allows for a dedicated firewall device (for example a
simple hardware also running linux+iptables or unix+bpf).

   Sebastian