need to look up short names

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Aug 11 15:56:08 UTC 2017

On 08/10/2017 10:18 PM, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> Note that this still work for dig(1) and host(1) as per the OP's
> examples.  But things like ping(1) and browsers will work with a
> search domain.

Do you mean to say that the search / domain entry in /etc/resolv.conf do
/not/ work for dig / host?  (Or am I mis-reading your email?)

Do you know if there is a way to get nslookup* / dig / host to work with
the search domain?

It was my (mis)understanding that search / domain works for things that
use the system resolver libraries, which (I believe) nslookup* / dig /
host bypass and make (unqualified) DNS queries directly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die