[DNS] BIND 9.9.9-P8 issue

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Aug 21 13:18:20 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 4:33 AM, Daniel Rodrigues <dro1976 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>

> We are facing to an important issue which is strongly annoying us on our DNS
> resolvers. We saw our cache decrease and we got lot of SERVFAIL/recursion
> during this period. The only way to solve it is to flush cache or reboot
> BIND. Our version is 9.9.9-P8 running on RHEL 6.6. We already got it 6 times
> in 1 week on different servers.
>
> Here some logs when the problem appears :

Some questions:
1: What do you have in your hints file? What do you get if you run
"dig ns . @<address>" where
<address> are the addresses in the hints file.

2: Have you manually configured / changed the max-cache-size ? If so,
er, why and to what?

3: Do you usually get the "maximum number of FD events (64) received" message?
Have you followed the advice in
https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00716/0/Since-upgrading-to-BIND-9.9-Im-seeing-maximum-number-of-FD-events-64-received.html
 ?

and, the obvious 4: What changed recently? What sort of boxes are
these? What is their network connectivity like?