Need DNS records help for single server (and IP), and multi-domain mail server.

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Aug 23 22:22:40 UTC 2017

On 08/23/2017 02:59 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
> Based on all the comments, I've modified the OP list to this:
>
> # For each domain X.TLD:
> X.TLD.      IN   A               142.54.186.2.
> *.X.TLD.    IN   CNAME     X.TLD.
> X.TLD.      IN   MX            10 X.TLD.
> X.TLD.      IN   TXT           "v=spf1 mx ?all"
>
> How's that set?

I would suggest that you point your MX record(s) to a hostname and not
the domain name itself.

Using the hostname will allow you to move email if (read: when) you ever
need to move it to another server.  -  I.e. you can move
mail.example.com to a different server without having to worry about
reconfiguring everything that was using example.com.

Similarly, I always used smtp.example.com for outgoing and
pop3.example.com and / or imap.example.com for incoming email servers.

Start with something that will be flexible and allow you to change as
you grow in the future.  -  Even if growth is simply replacing the aging
server in five  years with it's new counterpart.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die