Unexpected change in notify log format?

MURTARI, JOHN jm5903 at att.com
Thu Aug 24 15:03:56 UTC 2017

Folks,
                We'd had a discussion  back in February (Bind query log format) about the perils of changes to the log formats.

               Just got bit by an earlier  change used for logging notify messages.   Had to run some regression tests. Looks like it occurred between 9.9.8  and 9.9.9:

FROM: 24-Aug-2017 12:14:33 notify: info: client 10.10.10.10#27069: received notify for zone 'example.com'
TO:   24-Aug-2017 12:55:31 notify: info: client @0x1bdcf300 10.10.10.10#56633: received notify for zone 'example.com'

                Wasn't noticed till recently when a utility script started failing. Field counting to find the zone name and the extra field caused it to run off the tracks...   I did try some 'due diligence' and checked release notes for 9.9.9.  Couldn't find anything, but might have missed it.

                In any case, especially in a large organization, I doubt it would have been noted by the original script writer....  Not sure if we had a consensus on this and balancing ISC developer's desires to give us good service and quick debug of issues (which we much appreciate!) and end user desires to keep things stable.   How about:

1.       Any future log format changes should attempt to add additional fields at the END of the existing message.

2.       A debug-level mask option in the named.conf to activate a change in a log format.

Best regards!
John Murtari