Issue with AT&T IPs?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Dec 5 19:26:25 UTC 2017

Am 05.12.2017 um 20:21 schrieb Barry S. Finkel:
> The problem is not with the "two" name servers for the domain
> you are trying to reach.  Note the quotation marks.
> I was able to contact the ONE IP address and get a DNS
> response.  If, for some reason, you do not have a path
> to that IP address, you will not get a response.  And, there
> is no fall-back, as both name servers are on the same IP
> address

indeed and so one more running nameservices without basic competence

you have to have *two* nameservers on *different* networks to avoid
exactly this happening, be it by routing troubles, line down, machine
down or whatever and if you can't do that just use a dns provider, no
matter which one, he does it better

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ nslookup NS1.QUICKFIX8.COM
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   NS1.QUICKFIX8.COM
Address: 74.124.202.236

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ nslookup NS2.QUICKFIX8.COM
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   NS2.QUICKFIX8.COM