Bind Queries log file format

MURTARI, JOHN jm5903 at att.com
Mon Feb 6 17:04:54 UTC 2017

> From: Warren Kumari [mailto:warren at kumari.net]
> Customer: "My BIND went Boom! It's been running fine for many years,
> and then for no reason at all it went Boom. Here are my log files..."
> ISC: "Doh. Sorry. Unfortunately the log file doesn't have sufficient
> debug info. Can you please turn on debug using <insert invocation>, so
> that we have enough logging info next time this happens?"
> Customer: "Bah. Ok. Will do...."
> The additional logging info is specifically for the unusual bugs,
> which happen very rarely - asking customers to enable the additional
> logs after a rare event (which might not happen again for months /
> years) means that ISC cannot hunt down and squash the corner case
> bugs...

	I can understand the above.  ISC needs the data to help debug
a once-in-a-blue-moon crash.  But many busy sites do not have query logging
turned on at all (or only run sampling periods) and would not benefit anyway.

	It would seem this debug info should be moved to a separate log
used only for that purpose and always 'on'. But that brings up other issues....

	I've been a sys admin for many years.  If a utility crashes enough to
bother me I'll turn on more detailed logging.....

John