Clean up dynamic names

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Wed Feb 8 20:04:54 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Cuttler, Brian R (HEALTH) <
brian.cuttler at health.ny.gov> wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> I understand. Let me refocus the question.
>
> DHCP:
> I know DHCP will remove the info when the old lease expires, will it
> remove this information for me in the case of the device falling off line,
> and how can I accelerate that process so that I can reassign the printer
> tag to a new IP address.
>
> BIND:
> Knowing that I have a "A", "TXT" and "PTR" record, is # nsupdate the
> correct mechanism, and how do I specify the commands to remove the "TXT"
> record as it is missing column 1 in the tables. I have previously manually
> both created and removed forward and reverse records, but text records are
> different, I just don't know how different.
>
> The forward table looks like this
>
> hr16038                 A       10.57.48.209
>                         TXT     "00f8e5793e94da14990f27763448c54a00"

If the first field is shown as blank, it means "same as previous", so
"hr16038" in this case.
If the ttl is not shown, it is "same as last $TTL record"  (or taken from
'minimum' field in SOA if no $TTL)
If no class is shown, it is probably "IN", I forget now where it defaults
that.
If the first field is not fully qualified, the domain is taken from the
last $ORIGIN, or SOA?, or named.conf.
So the records if listed in full would be something like:

hr16038.somedomain.tld.    9999   IN       A       10.57.48.209
hr16038.somedomain.tld.    9999   IN    TXT     "
00f8e5793e94da14990f27763448c54a00"

nsupdate is probably the best tool for removing the old records.

--
Bob Harold