Clean up dynamic names

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Feb 14 01:58:20 UTC 2017

On 02/08/2017 11:09 AM, Cuttler, Brian R (HEALTH) wrote:
> DHCP:
> I know DHCP will remove the info when the old lease expires, will it
> remove this information for me in the case of the device falling off
> line, and how can I accelerate that process so that I can reassign
> the printer tag to a new IP address.

I don't recall if DHCP will remove all records at a given RR name or if
it will just remove the records that it would have created.

I also don't recall if it will attempt to remove the RR if said record
was pre-existing.

You may have to do some playing to see how things shake out.

> BIND:
> Knowing that I have a "A", "TXT" and "PTR" record, is # nsupdate the
> correct mechanism, and how do I specify the commands to remove the
> "TXT" record as it is missing column 1 in the tables. I have
> previously manually both created and removed forward and reverse
> records, but text records are different, I just don't know how
> different.

Depending on how many RR you need to clean up and how often you need to
do it, it might be worth freezing your dynamic zone (rndz sync -clean)
and do a bulk edit.  (Remember to thaw and possibly sign your zone.)

I would also recommend that you not issue one "send" for all of your
updates.  If anything fails, the entire send will fail.  -  Conversely
you may not want to do a send for each and every RR either.  YMMV.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die