bind-9.11.0-P2 on Debian 9.0 (stretch)

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Thu Jan 26 18:50:43 UTC 2017

On 01/26/2017 06:39 PM, Alan Clegg wrote:
> On 1/26/17 1:31 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> The POSIX and XPG4 approach [is a great idea]
>
> (My text in brackets)
>
> Said no one, ever.

    Clearly I just said it ... and have before ... as have others for
about twenty years or at least since 1999. Essentially any ELF file that
does not specify a RUNPATH and/or RPATH leaves the dependencies to be
found anywhere the runtime linker chooses. This is how a very bad mix
of user built software can end up messing up their lives. Full and
clear separation is best with full specification to the runtime linker
also.  That wasn't the point however. The point is that the sources do
exist for very valid reasons and that a user can and should be able to
compile as they choose and to install as they choose.  Merely some sort
of logic in the separation is needed and the POSIX/XPG4 manner works in
a very stable way.  Go install a MySQL package from the Oracle download
and see where it goes.

Dennis Clarke