bind-9.11.0-P2 on Debian 9.0 (stretch)

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Fri Jan 27 15:40:04 UTC 2017

> Just wonder if there is some agreed guidance on what steps I SHOULD take =
> to get bind-9.11.0-P2 successfully build on Debian 9.0?
>

> /usr/bin/ld: //lib64/libcrypto.a(a_object.o):
> relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `ASN1_OBJECT_free'
> can not be used when making a shared object;
>                 recompile with -fPIC

It looks like openssl was not built to create shared libraries. So bind
built against your self compiled openssl can not create shared libraries.
Either rebuild openssl to create shared libraries or change binds configure
to remove --enable-shared, possibly adding --disable-shared.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com