designing the DNS from the scratch

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jul 9 18:51:57 UTC 2017

Am 09.07.2017 um 20:41 schrieb Warren Kumari:
> On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 1:59 PM John W. Blue <john.blue at rrcic.com
> <mailto:john.blue at rrcic.com>> wrote:
>
>     Abdulhadi,____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Honestly, I think that a design spec of getting DNS responses in 3ms
>     across the board is unrealistic.  My initial MX query for litc.ly
>     <http://litc.ly> took 367ms:____
>
>     __
>

> Like many poorly written / articulated SLAs, the devil is in the details.
>
> I could happily read this as the server / service must respond within
> 3ms. The OP mentioned VIP, so this could be for auth DNS, in which case
> responding to a query within 3ms is trivial...

no it is not - at least not if there is an internet connection between
customer and dns server since you hardly get even a 3 ms ping time

on the server itself yes

frankly even in a local network you end with ;; Query time: 1 msec for a
"dig NS" and that a nameserver can respond on localhost below that is
completly worthless

however, since the OP even don't know if he requires a recursive
resolver or a authoritative server any discussion is pointless unless
the OP is completly re-written based on
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise