"spare hosts" as personal DNS nameservers for 'mynew.org'

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Tue Jul 11 14:24:39 UTC 2017

On 11 Jul 2017, at 14:57, bind at zq3q.org wrote:

> Assume I register domain 'mynew.org' with registrar namecheap; and as
> an exercise,
> I plan to setup my own two authoritative DNS nameservers for
> 'mynew.org'.
>
> I have several linux VMs, that are under used, so I want to use them
> for the nameservers for 'mynew.org'.  **Neither are in 'mynew.org';
> is that going to work?**

Unless you misconfigure things, it should just work.

> namecheap support seems to suggest that the personal DNS authorative
> nameservers
> for 'mynew.org', must be in 'mynew.org', as in
>
>     ns1.mynew.org
>     ns2.mynew.org

Nonsense.  OTOH, if your registrar is obdurate, you may need to find
a creative work-around.

> This is not what I want, since I do not want to spin up 2 new servers.

You can work around the obduracy without spinning up any new server.
Simply use the addresses of each of your existing servers in the AAAA
(you are using IPv6, I hope?) and A records for the new names.

Of course, this can only work if your servers have public, reachable
addresses.

> **Pls confirm, that I do not need to do this, and that I could use 2
> existing
> linux hosts outside of mynew.org as personal DNS authorative
> nameservers.**
> Any additional related tips appreciated.

See above.

With best regards,
Niall O'Reilly