delegation NS records

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Jul 14 08:35:00 UTC 2017

On 13.07.17 19:39, bind at zq3q.org wrote:
>Interesting.  I think the glue record make sense.
>I'm not planning to do this. :->
>
>I do not see any delegation NS record for otherdomain.com above.
>Is this right?:
>
>    TLD com zone:
>    example.com        IN NS ns.otherdomain.com
>    ns.example.com     IN A x.x.x.x  (glue record?)
>    otherdomain.com    IN NS ns.example.com
>    ns.otherdomain.com IN A x.x.x.x (glue record?)

verisign has cleared these combinations a few years ago. I think at least
they (.net and .com) have policy to avoid these cases.

Simply said, if you don't have nameservers in your owndomain (and thus glue
recods in parent zone), search for nameservers that do have glue records in
parent zone. This will lower a risk of breaking the delegation path.

- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watson.  -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig