DNS traffic accounting

Abi Askushi rightkicktech at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 15:09:20 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how could I account the DNS traffic generated
from clients in terms of bytes. My setup is a simple caching DNS with
several clients querying the DNS server.  I can measure the DNS traffic
that is generated from the DNS server on the WAN side by using some
monitoring tool (pmacct) but I am not sure how could I account this traffic
to the clients that are generating this traffic. By simply monitoring the
internal DNS traffic from clients I expect to not be accurate since it will
include also cached responses which do not generate WAN traffic.

Any suggestion how to approach this problem?

Many thanx,
Abi