BIND and Windows DNS logging and archiving

Mick Lee lmick5455 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 14:16:41 UTC 2017

Thanks Phil,

You are right it's not a BIND issue :)

I am a BIND user myself, and I was wondering how other BIND users have
copied when they've had to deal with Windows DNS servers like this.

I appreciate any response to be honest.

I have a colleague who has said he has a parts of a PCAP to BIND query log
agent that runs on UNIX platforms, and he is happy to port that to Windows
for me - he's actually working on it now (for a few beers :) ).

Basically it just listens on port 53 and streams the data over TCP syslog,
i.e. doesn't write to disk but queues in memory with a limit.  It also logs

I'll give that a try, sounds like it will give me query logging formatted
logs, which I can push into pretty much anything :)

Many thanks

Mick

On 23 Jul 2017 3:06 p.m., "Phil Mayers" <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

On 22/07/2017 07:33, Mick Lee wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Can anyone offer any advice based on their experience?

Well, if I understand correctly, your main problem is the windows boxes
running windows DNS, so this is not a bind problem. You might be better
asking elsewhere.

However, honestly I would consider moving the traffic from the windows
boxes elsewhere to somewhere you can log. There are great tools for doing
this but they're all unix-oriented e.g. dnsdist, dnscap.

I guess you could try and get one of those running on a Windows box, but
for the effort involved on about 100 servers, you might as well just spin
up a recursive resolver that you *can* instrument, and point all the boxes
at that.

Regards,
Phil