DNS traffic accounting

Abi Askushi rightkicktech at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 16:49:21 UTC 2017

Hi Grant,

Thanx for the reply. My intention is not academic but some business case.
Let me try to describe it. I have some network appliance sitting on a
remote end and using satellite for internet connectivity. The traffic
accounting on the wan is already implemented and dns that is consumed from
the appliance is reported also. What the end user pays at the end of the
day is the volume consumed on the satellite, which is already accuretly
calculated as mentioned. The issue only is the dns traffic. I cannot relate
with current setup which client did what dns traffic. By client i mean a
simple device in the internal network behind the appliance. DNS service is
enabled to this client devices only when they login/authenticate with the
appliance. As soon as they login, the respective IP becomes a member of a
bind9 view that allows recursive queries. Queries drom non authenticated
devices are simply refused. Thus i need to account only traffic from the
authenticated view. Seems that putting iptables rule on the fly as soon as
one logs in can do what i need.

Thanx,
Abi