Stop Reverse resolution query Logging

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 12:10:16 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 04:28:23PM +0200, Job wrote:
> is there a way in Bind 9 to stop logging (to bind.log standard
> file) all the in-addr.arpa queries?

What "standard" is this?  The default logging for named goes to
syslog, and from there it's up to your syslogd to decide if/where it
should be written.

Perhaps what you want is a separate log channel for queries?  This is
what I use:

logging {
        channel "default_log" {
                file "logs/named.log" versions unlimited size 4194304;
                severity dynamic;
                print-time yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-category yes;
        };
        channel "query_log" {
                file "logs/query.log" versions 10 size 2097152;
                severity dynamic;
                print-time yes;
        };
        category "default" {
                "default_log";
        };
        category "queries" {
                "query_log";
        };
};

Those paths are relative to the "directory" which is set in your
options{}.  Adjust to suit.

> We would like to log everything else but not the reverse
> resolution queries.

Why (and why not?)  What's the actual problem?  And what do you plan
to do with all those query logs?  Query logging has a substantial
impact on server performance.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/