question about reverse zones and nsupdate

kevin martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 20:18:58 UTC 2017

I have tried to setup a reverse zone as 10.10.in-addr.arpa and perform
'update add' commands sending addresses like 22.22.10.10.in-addr.arpa and
2.5.10.10.in-addr.arpa and, in all cases, the update fails with NOTZONE.
 bind complains "update failed: update RR is outside zone (NOTZONE)".  Just
how "tight" does the arpa zone need to be?  what would be IN zone in this
case?  When I'm NOT using dynamic dns I have a zone file that is ORIGIN
in-addr.arpa and just post manual entries that look like
"22.22.10.10.in-addr.arpa. PTR host.myhosts.com" and reverse resolution
works fine.

---

Regards,