question about reverse zones and nsupdate

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jun 8 00:50:45 UTC 2017

In message <CACyJYa3TfG57bK0noBdc9yOq3cD93S04Eah7=pPrmiv0XcU49g at mail.gmail.com>
, kevin martin writes:

> I have tried to setup a reverse zone as 10.10.in-addr.arpa and perform
> 'update add' commands sending addresses like 22.22.10.10.in-addr.arpa and
> 2.5.10.10.in-addr.arpa and, in all cases, the update fails with NOTZONE.
> bind complains "update failed: update RR is outside zone (NOTZONE)".
> Just how "tight" does the arpa zone need to be?  what would be IN zone in
> this case?  When I'm NOT using dynamic dns I have a zone file that is
> ORIGIN in-addr.arpa and just post manual entries that look like
> "22.22.10.10.in-addr.arpa. PTR host.myhosts.com" and reverse resolution
> works fine.

If you are getting NOTZONE then you have update / prerequites that
are outside of the zone that is set/discovered.

If you are updating 10.10.in-addr.arpa then ALL the update/prerequiste
requests must have records names that end in 10.10.in-addr.arpa.

Run 'nsupdate -d' with a example update and post the complete output
of a attempt to update the zone.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC