wildcard not working after record deleted

Maria Iano bind-lists at iano.org
Tue Jun 20 13:17:58 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 09:08:33PM -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 06:19:31PM -0400, Maria Iano wrote:
> > We have a group of users that need to use a wildcard record in
> > their zone. Their wildcard works in general, but they have a
> > situation where it isn't working. They had some records that they
> > deleted, and expected the wildcard to take over, but it hasn't. If
> > we query a record that doesn't exist and never has in the zone,
> > then we get the answer from the wildcard. If we query a record that
> > used to exist but was deleted and now doesn't exist, then we get no
> > answer. We don't get NXDOMAIN, we get
>
> NXDOMAIN means there is no data of any type for the queried owner
> name.
>
> > status: NOERROR
> >
> > and no answer.
>
> NOERROR means the query completed successfully, with no error.  It
> might mean in your case that there is other data with that owner
> name, but no RRset of the requested type.
>
> IOW, when you have a TXT and A record with the same owner:
>
> sample		7200	IN	A	192.0.2.53
> sample		7200	IN	TXT	"This is a sample."
> *		7200	IN	A	192.0.2.101
>
> If you delete the A record, the TXT is still there, and your wildcard
> A record in the zone would not be used for that name.
>
> > Has anyone else come across this?
>
> That's the best guess I can come up with without seeing the query and
> the zone data.  If you need more help you will have to share that
> information.

Thanks for your answer. There are no other records with that name in the
zone, and an ANY query comes back empty but still with status of
NOERROR. Unfortunately, I can't provide the query and zone data, and I
do understand that prevents you from helping.

I was hoping someone else had come across this at some point.

Thanks again,
Maria