wildcard not working after record deleted

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Tue Jun 20 22:29:27 UTC 2017

On 20/06/2017 14:17, Maria Iano wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 09:08:33PM -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 06:19:31PM -0400, Maria Iano wrote:
>>> We have a group of users that need to use a wildcard record in
>>> their zone. Their wildcard works in general, but they have a
>>> situation where it isn't working. They had some records that they
>>> deleted, and expected the wildcard to take over, but it hasn't. If
>>> we query a record that doesn't exist and never has in the zone,
>>> then we get the answer from the wildcard. If we query a record that
>>> used to exist but was deleted and now doesn't exist, then we get no
>>> answer. We don't get NXDOMAIN, we get

As has been explained already, no answer, no error means that the name
exists, but not an RRset of the type you queried for.

Since the ANY query also comes back empty, you've probably got a
situation something like this in the zone:

sample		7200	IN	A	192.0.2.53
child.sample	7200	IN	A	192.0.2.54
*		7200	IN	A	192.0.2.101

If you delete the 'sample' RR, the wildcard will still not match any
queries for sample.  This is because the existence of 'child.sample'
means that 'sample' also exists, even though it has no RRsets of any type.

'sample' in this case is what's called an 'Empty Non-Terminal'.

Does this scenario explain what you are seeing?

Cathy