Difference between delegation and forward zone

Mik J mikydevel at yahoo.fr
Mon Mar 6 16:24:49 UTC 2017

Hello,
I would like to check if my understanding is correct regarding delegation and forward
Delegation: I want to delegate the administrative tasks to someone else for one subdomainsubdomain1.mydomain.orgI'll specify the NS of that subdomain1.mydomain.org in my mydomain.org zone fileThe other person will be able to create rr1.subdomain1.mydomain.org
Forward zone: I can forward a specific zone to a DNS that is different from the default fowarders or I won't attempt to do an iterative lookup.
=> Question 1: Can I have a forward zone that is a subdomain subdomain1.mydomain.org ? Or when the zone is a subdomain of mydomain (I'm athoritative) it's always a delegation ?
=> Question 2: When I do a delegation, is it correct that the remote DNS server holding subdomain1.mydomain.org must always answer the SOA with SOA records and NS records (RFC 2181 chapter 6.1)
Regards