DNS forwarding

Barry S. Finkel bsfinkel at att.net
Mon May 22 13:16:30 UTC 2017

On Wed, 17 May 2017 17:44:12,  Elias Pereira <empbilly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our scenario today consists of one:
>
> - DNS Server (Authoritative to our subdomains. Ex: www.mydomain.com*,
> moodle.mydomain.com, etc)
> - samba3 PDC server
> - Openldap server (user base for samba)
>
> All our IPs are public.
>
> This scenario above works like a charm!! :D
>
> Now, I'm implementing a new samba4 AD server.
>
> In order for me to be able to put users in the AD domain, I need to
> configure the samba4 AD IP as primary dns on the computers. In the bind
> installed on samba4 AD I configured the "forwarder" variable with the IP of
> our DNS server.
>
> The problem is that from this computer, if I need to access an internal
> subdomain, for example our webserver*, I can not access. Gives resolution
> error. For any other site, for example, google.com, I can access.
>
> I'm not finding the problem. Any idea?
>
> -- Elias Pereira

Maybe I am misinterpreting the problem.  When I was managing a mixed
AD-BIND DNS scenario, ALL of the computers used the BIND servers for
their DNS resolution; none used the AD servers.  But I had all of the
AD zones slaved on my BIND servers, so there was no need for any machine
to use the AD servers for DNS resolution.  The AD servers had only
the AD zones, so if any machine queried the AD server for a non-AD zone,
the request would have been forwarded to the BIND servers anyway.

--Barry Finkel