Email & PTR Issues

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue Nov 7 15:31:29 UTC 2017

Hello. I'm looking for help with an issue I've been fighting for some time.

Background:
Running BIND 9.9.
Forwarding UDP & TCP Port 53 through firewall.

I have issues emailing to certain domains. I use my own mail server to
deliver mail. It is currently not sending through SMTP Relay. The
failure says that I have a missing PTR record. For example:

host al-ip4-mx-vip2.prodigy.net[144.160.235.144]
     said: 550 5.7.1 Connections not accepted from servers without a valid
     sender domain.alph151 Fix reverse DNS for 108.212.144.25 (in reply to
MAIL
     FROM command)

If I do a test on mxtoolbox it also says I have the issue:
https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=smtp%3aobrien-pifer.com&run=toolpage#

If I look at dnsstuff and do a test on Mail Server Test Center and run
selected tests under the MX Dashboard it gives a DNS Mismatch.

BUT, If I look at dnsstuff,com and do a reverse lookup test, that seems
successful:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#reverseDns|type=ipv4&&value=108.212.144.25&&optionalServer=mail.obrien-pifer.com

Also, from a pc somewhere else on the internet, if you change your DNS
server to mine (or use nslookup) it resolves the reverse entry ok.

 >nslookup

 > server 108.212.144.25
Default Server:  [108.212.144.25]
Address:  108.212.144.25

 > 108.212.144.25
Server:  [108.212.144.25]
Address:  108.212.144.25

Name:    obrien-pifer.com
Address:  108.212.144.25

If anyone has any helpful suggestions it is appreciated.

I also tried moving my DNS to the provider I purchased my domain name
from thinking that would be an easy fix. They don't support PTR records
and actually had no clue what they even were.

I've also tried configuring my mail servers to use ATT's SMTP Relay, but
so far I've been unsuccessful getting it to send at all. The emails keep
getting deferred. Obviously not an issue for anyone on this list. Just
providing info.

Thanks
James