Email & PTR Issues

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Nov 8 17:54:39 UTC 2017

In article <mailman.15.1510077615.749.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com> wrote:

> I'm presuming swbell.net is your ISP.  You either need to get them to
> delegate reverse DNS for your address block to you, or have them set up the
> PTR record(s) you require in their DNS.

If you have residential Internet service, I'd estimate the chances of
either to be 0%. This kind of thing is generally only provided to
business accounts.

What's strange, though, is that they don't have some kind of generic
reverse DNS for the address. Like my Comcast IP has reverse DNS that
resolves to c-71-192-114-133.hsd1.ma.comcast.net.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA