Forwarding from delegated zone not working

seanliam73 sean.oreilly at landg.com
Tue Oct 10 15:21:39 UTC 2017

Hi

I have a subdomain delegated from AD to a bind9 instance I have running that
so that all requests for that subdomain are sent to the bind 9 instance. I
would then like to set up zone forwarding so that further subdomains can be
managed by other bind 9 instances.

I know the forwarding is working because I can query the main bind9 instance
at receive the expected results. However if I query from the AD server that
is doing the delegation I get a SERVFAIL error.

Am I trying to do something that is not possible or am I just missing some
configuration.

*main instance config*

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        listen-on port 53 { listen addr; };
        auth-nxdomain yes;
        recursion yes;
        allow-query { ip addresses; };
        listen-on-v6 { any; };
        dnssec-enable no;
        dnssec-validation no;
        dnssec-lookaside auto;
};

logging {
        channel default_debug {
                file "data/named.run";
                severity debug 3;
        };

        channel querylog {
                file "data/query.log";
                severity debug 5;
        };

        category default { default_debug; };
        category queries { querylog; };
};

zone "example.company.com" IN {
        type forward;
        forward only;
        forwarders { ip address; };
};

zone "development.example.company.com" IN {
        type forward;
        forward only;
        forwarders { ip address; };
};