Is there a need for clients to advertize the capabilities for DNS Responses over TCP

Harshith Mulky harshith.mulky at outlook.com
Fri Sep 15 07:37:50 UTC 2017

Hello Experts,

I had a query on advertising the payload size on client in DNS Responses over UDP/TCP

This is as much I have understood from RFC 6891, that a requester(client) can address his capabilities to restrict the UDP Payload size to a limit between 512 to 4096 bytes based on his limitation when supporting EDNS Procedures.

Is it the same case with TCP?

Can we(client) advertize our capabilities over TCP to limit the payload size in Responses?

Thanks

Harshith