Different forwarder for certain response ip (result ip )

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Sep 16 13:17:28 UTC 2017

Am 16.09.2017 um 15:12 schrieb Sten Carlsen:

> On 16-09-2017 14.56, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> On 16.09.17 04:19, Omid Kosari via bind-users wrote:
>>> Actually my situation is a bit strange . But as explanation i can say
>>> that
>>> our upstream provider do dns manipulation on normal ports 53 tcp/udp
>>> (please
>>> don't ask why). We may not use vpn or tunnels . The only way is using
>>> alternate ports as forwarders.
>>
>> that explains why you want forwarders on port 443.
>>
>> But it doesn't explain why you forward to google. I still think it's
>> useless, unless your ISP blocks port 53 to public servers.
>>
> This is still not entirely clear to me. I see two possible scenarios,
> please indicate which is closer to your situation:
>
> 1 - your ISP provides their own DNS servers as part of the service and
> indicate those via DHCP. These servers give mangled replies.
>
> 2 - ALL traffic on port 53 is mangled in e.g. a router/switch along the
> path according to some rule imposed by the ISP.
>
> In case 1) which is common, I have used a DNS server locally without
> forwarding with perfect results. It will never ask the ISP's server.
>
> In case 2) something like your solution is needed. The use of port 443
> is an obvious idea, however DNS uses UDP and HTTPS uses TCP. Your ISP
> appears to be paranoid enough to block also port 443 UDP, so that might
> be one issue.

DNS is using both and when UDP fails it should fallback in any case to
TCP as it does for large respones - you can likely reject UDP 53 and it
would still work and as already said: distinct between https and dns
traffic on the ISP side would require expensive (expensive at least for
the scale of an ISP) deep packet inspection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extension_mechanisms_for_DNS

for DNSSEC as exmaple TCP is mandatory because the DO-Flag wont fit into
the default header for UDP