Queries related to RPZ

Philippe Maechler pmaechler-ml at glattnet.ch
Tue Apr 17 12:13:27 UTC 2018

Hello blason

I'm not an RPZ expert, but we have a running RPZ configuration

>From named.conf

zone "rpz.zone" {

        type    master;

        file    "/etc/namedb/master/rpz.zone.db";

        allow-query     { localhost; };

        allow-transfer  { 192.168.3.0/24; };

};

And inside the rpz.zone.db we have:

$TTL 3600

@       IN SOA rpz.zone. rpz.zone. (

       2017100903;

       3600;

       300;

       86400;

       60 )

       IN      NS      localhost.

; Malware Domains, NXDOMAIN as a reply

;crayumm.com                    IN      CNAME   .

;*.crayumm.com                  IN      CNAME   .

; phising sites

baddomain.com CNAME .

malwaredomain.com CNAME .

uglydomain.com CNAME .

otherbaddomain.com CNAME .

; and so on

This way you don't increase the size of the named.conf. You only have one
RPZ zone and an entry for all "bad" domains inside it

I recommend to enable the logging for the RPZ category in named.conf

logging {

 channel rpz_log {

    file "/var/named/var/log/rpz.log" versions 3 size 20m;

    print-time yes;

    print-category yes;

  };

  category rpz  { rpz_log; syslog_server; };

    ..

};

HTH

Philippe