Queries to DNS Blackholes don't respond

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Apr 18 14:53:34 UTC 2018

On 18.04.18 11:44, Roberto Carna wrote:
>Dear, I have impelmented a BIND9 server. It works OK, but some days
>ago an application failed because it needed to resolve the reverse of
>some IP addresses from range 10.x.x.x, and they waited for a long time
>and failed, because they need a NXDOMAIN fast response.

>I don't want to make a local zone 10.IN-ADDR.ARPA, because I want to
>use the two public nameservers from Internet:

10.* is a private IP range and noone from outside should respond it.
You MUST configure those zones yourself, unless your provider gave them to
you - in such case ask your provider.

>BLACKHOLE-1.IANA.ORG (192.175.48.6)
>BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG (192.175.48.42)

>Is it OK that I do? Are blackholes servers useful for this purpose ?

I believe that the meaning of "blackhole" is that those servers will NOT
respond.
My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.