Promote slave DNS server
leroy at datavoiceint.com
Mon Aug 6 13:40:37 UTC 2018
If there is already an ISC document I didn't find it, please provide the URL. I just added a slave of a master for disaster recovery and now need to know how to promote it should the master be offline too long. What I have found so far is:
1. For the zone definitions in /etc/named.conf (or equivalent):
(a) Change the “type” statements from ”slave” to “master” and remove the “masters” statement.
(b) Add “allow-update” and “allow-transfer” statements as appropriate.
(c) Possibly add “also-notify” statements as appropriate.
2. Add key definitions if needed
3. If “masterfile-format text” wasn't used in named.conf.local convert the zone files to text using named-compilezone including the -j parameter.
4. If the server's name is different than the former master then the SOA record for each (to be ) master zone must be updated. Since rndc
freeze/thaw doesn't work on slave zones the server probably needs to be shut down.
5. Change the MNAME to the new server name
Anything I've missed? Thanks for your help. I also have a question about DNS and keepalived but I'll make that another post.
at the 2018 Momentum User Conference!
Network Information/Cyber Security Specialist
E: leroy at datavoiceint.com
2220 Bush Dr
TThis message has been sent on behalf
of a company that is part of the Harris Operating Group of
Constellation Software Inc. These companies are listed
If you prefer not to be contacted by Harris
please notify us
This message is intended exclusively for the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication
may contain information that is proprietary, privileged or
confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are
not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print,
retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender
immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of the
More information about the bind-users