Reverse lookup for classless networks

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Dec 27 19:00:47 UTC 2018

On 12/27/18 11:24 AM, John Levine wrote:
> Well, there's those pesky old DNS standards, but we're used to software
> working around screwed up zones.

Agreed.  Which standard(s) does this run afoul of?

> If the parent delegates a name to a child server, the child server must
> have an SOA at that name, along with whatever else you might want to
> put there.

Which of the other records that must be there are actually queried as
part of a normal lookup?

Sure, they should be there or expect failure when someone / something
explicitly looks for the SOA record.

> BIND will generally forgive what you're doing, but I wouldn't expect it
> to work on other name server software.

I'm about 80% certain that I've also done this with MS-DNS.  But, that's
two (unknown versions of) many different DNS servers / resolver libraries.

> I see a delegation loop.   What's the lookup chain supposed to be for
> 128.0.192.in-addr.arpa?

192.0.128.0/24 is outside of the zone in question (192.0.2.0/24).  ;-)

Other than that, I'm going to claim poor documentation on my part while
typing a reply before I've finished my coffee.

> PS: What's wrong with using $GENERATE in the parent zone like everyone
> else who uses BIND does?

There's nothing wrong with $GENERATE per say.  I advocate using it.
That being said, I find that $GENERATE, and other similar shortcuts, can
hinder teaching.  I don't want someone to have to learn multiple
concepts at the same time (if they aren't already familiar with $GENERATE).

I've long appreciated having control of my own reverse DNS.  It allows
me to make changes at /my/ whim.  Meaning that I don't have to submit a
ticket to my /provider/ for /them/ to make a change at /their/ whim.  -
Hence the motivation for RFC 2317 Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA Delegation.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die