Issue running "dig txt rs.dns-oarc.net" on 9.12

NNEX Support support at nnex.net
Thu Feb 22 16:44:07 UTC 2018

I'm sorry to keep replying to myself but I believe I've found the line of code that is causing this issue. Looking at validator.c, in the check_deadlock function, 9.12.0rc1 says:

                if (parent->event != NULL &&
                    parent->event->type == type &&
                    dns_name_equal(parent->event->name, name) &&

9.12.0rc3 and above says:

                if (parent->event != NULL &&
                    (parent->event->type == type ||
                     parent->event->type == dns_rdatatype_cname) &&
                    dns_name_equal(parent->event->name, name) &&

By removing  "parent->event->type == dns_rdatatype_cname)" (and adjusting the rest of the if statement appropriately) the query "dig ns rs.dns-oarc.net" works.

I see this commit related to this line of code: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/commit/2b51d5874c49ac823890b88824290fbf1c18f2cc

I'm sure this line of code is important, otherwise it wouldn't be there and I don't know enough to be removing random bits of code, so of course I'd never run this in production. Still I want to understand why this is happening and if it’s a bug or me not understanding DNS properly.

As always thank you for your time!

-Nick