Unclear behavior with option "lame-ttl 0;"

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Feb 23 14:46:48 UTC 2018

Tom <tomtux007 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If BIND recognizes a lame-server (written in the logfile), the corresponding
> server will not be contacted for authoritative queries. If I set the value
> "lame-ttl 0;", which means, caching lameservers will be disabled, then I
> would expect, that BIND will do "round-robin"-queries to all authoritative
> servers of a zone (includes the down-one). BUT: BIND still would have a
> notice of the lame-server (written in the log) and this server will still
> *NOT* be contacted for lookups.

BIND also keeps track of server response times, so it can reduce average
latency by preferring servers that respond faster. I guess that this is
what you are seeing. You might find that you can test lameness with fewer
confounding factors if your lame server responds with an error (REFUSED or
SERVFAIL) instead of dropping the query.

Tony.
West Faeroes, Southeast Iceland: Southerly or southeasterly 6 to gale 8,
occasionally severe gale 9. Very rough becoming high or very high. Occasional
rain. Moderate or good, occasionally poor.