intermittent SERVFAIL for high visible domains such as *.google.com

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Jan 23 12:25:50 UTC 2018

Here's a new most interesting data point.

All of these outages happen right after a DHCP client connect and sends
a DDNS update to BIND.

It would be an interesting experiment to isolate the zone that receives
DDNS updates for the DHCP clients onto a separate server to see if that
makes this problem go away for the main server, but I don't have
another machine to run another BIND on and I don't think it's possible
to run two BINDs on the same machine on different ports and have one
(on port 53) delegate a zone to another running on some other port.

Cheers,
b.