intermittent SERVFAIL for high visible domains such as *.google.com

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Jan 23 13:11:54 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-01-23 at 13:38 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> pretty sure it's possible and likely not much different than the
> unbound-sample below which asks a rbldnsd on port 1043 on the same
> machine
>
> stub-zone:
>   name: "zone-name."
>   stub-addr: 127.0.0.1 at 1053

That's the sort of path I was going to take with a forward zone in the
main server to my DHCP-DDNS-isolation server, but in the new zone I
create on the isolation server I have to list NS(es) for the new zone
and while those will be on the (IP address of the) main server they
will be on a different port.

Of course anything doing an NS query for that new zone on that server
will just get an IP address for the NS and not the port also.  Maybe in
such an isolated environment that doesn't matter since the only thing
doing an queries to that isolated server on the alternate port will be
the main server on behalf of the clients in the local network.

I'll give it a shot.

Cheers,
b.