nested CNAMEs resolution failures?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jan 29 18:29:09 UTC 2018

There really aren’t a lot of servers that return a bad enough answer to warrant turning off cookies globally.  After years of using cookies I have ~20 servers listed in named.conf.

Most of the erroneous responses are benign. FORMERR and BADVERS are a nonissue unless the zone is signed. Echoing back the cookie option is also benign, it doesn’t even impact with DNSSEC.  These sorts of errors are also going way over time as broken servers are replaced.

Then there is the occasional badly configured backing zone on load balancers which just needs error reports to be sent.

See https://ednscomp.isc.org/ for measurements on EDNS compliance.
--
Mark Andrews