Stopping name server abuse

Dave Warren dw at thedave.ca
Mon Jun 25 16:06:42 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018, at 15:48, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 04:30:08PM -0400, Alex wrote:
> > Hi,
> > We had a former customer who parked about 300 domains with his
> > registry on our server but is no longer a customer and hasn't moved
> > his domains. There aren't any hosts behind the domains.
> >
> > Is there anything more I can do to block/prevent them from continually
> > querying my system outside of just redirecting them to localhost or
> > something?
> >
> > It's not a terrible amount of traffic, but it's pretty substantial.
> >
> > Unfortunately asking him nicely didn't work.
>
> Serve the customer an invoice. They're his domains after all, and he's
> using up your resources. You can identify him and show that your
> resources are being used because he has not moved the delegations.

Absent a situation where the customer has agreed to purchase this service, the only result sending an invoice would have is that you have increased your loss by adding wasted time, toner, paper, an envelope and the cost of postage.

You might flag the customer's attention, but since "Unfortunately asking him nicely didn't work." it seems unlikely that repeatedly annoying the individual repeatedly will be productive.