Domain name based multihome routing?

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 18:17:41 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 12:27 PM, Darcy Kevin (FCA) <
kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com> wrote:

> I’m not convinced DNS has any valuable role to play here. Seems like this
> is a traffic-shaping challenge; maybe one of the open source traffic
> shaping tools would fit the bill.

A Google search for multihome traffic shaping yields nothing obvious.

Do you have specific details you can share about exactly how that would be
done?

Also how is traffic shaping going to tell the difference between a
background Apple iOS update or Windows update that need to use the DSL, and
the high priority data streams that are more important to me, that need to
use the cellular modem?

Shaping is not routing, it just prioritizes some data streams over others.
I don't see how shaping is going to know whether to use the DSL or the
Cellular ... without inspecting the domain name before a connection is
established.... which is what I'm already discussing here...