DNS can be a subdomain

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Wed Jun 27 21:41:14 UTC 2018

Domain Controllers certainly need to have their hostnames registered in the AD domain, but regular domain-joined members do *not*. We've been running AD for decades, without registering members in the AD domain. Works fine. Instead, we get our (non-Microsoft) DHCP servers to register dynamic clients automatically in a vendor-agnostic zone hosted on BIND (actually, Infoblox running modified BIND under the covers), and servers, whether Windows or not, get manually registered in various vendor-agnostic zones. The only hostnames in our AD domain are the Domain Controllers, and those hostnames are redundant with what exists in the vendor-agnostic zones. The reverse records point back to the vendor-agnostic-zone names.

Microsoft calls this architecture a "disjoint namespace", which is slightly derogatory. According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/plan/disjoint-namespace, disjoint namespaces are "more complex" (which is rich, coming from Microsoft, inventor of aging, scavenging and "tombstone records" for their DNS) and cites various caveats and disadvantages. But it's fully supported. I just had a word with one of our AD experts, and he reminded me that, with a disjoint namespace, you need to take some care to define the "disjointed" namespaces as being authorized for SPN generation (we did that a long time ago, and I had forgotten that step). But that's one of the few "gotchas" associated with disjoint namespaces.

															- Kevin