masters directive in NZF file

Chuck Musser cmusser at sonic.net
Thu Mar 1 00:00:27 UTC 2018

Hi,

We've got a set of slaves running BIND 9.9.9-P5 that have dynamically managed zones (via rndc addzone and delzone). The master server's IP was hardcoded into the options sent to addzone, resulting in NZF files with lines like so:

zone "foo.com" { type slave; file "foo.com"; masters { 1.2.3.4; }; };

We want to change the master server, so in retrospect, the above doesn't seem ideal. Could we define a masters statement in the main named.conf file, then reference it in addzone requests? For example:

// In named.conf
masters our-masters { 1.2.3.4; };

// In NZF/addzone requests:
zone "foo.com" { type slave; file "foo.com"; masters { our-masters; }; };

To make the transition, I'd imagine we'd make the changes to the two files, then do an "rndc reconfig". Then, when we wanted to change the master, we'd just change the "our-master" entry and do "rndc reconfig".

Is all this a valid way to do it?

Thanks,

Chuck